Thursday 19 July 2012

EMPEROR EP BLOG

Joel recording drums in a bassement.
The idea of this piece is to deliver an informative account to the curious few about our forthcoming EP, as yet untitled...

Our first EP of demos (released in the summer last year) was seeing how we'd function as a recording machine with producer Joel Roberts..We were pleasantly surprised with the outcome (although drummer 'speir' would rather not do recording) and came out on top with Glue of which I wouldn't want to change it much, if it makes the album..

Then we got braver, releasing Swan as a single (dropping the demo mentatility) which got played on regional BBC radio, nearly completing my new years resolution which is to get us on national radio. Five months to go and then I'm sweating.

Now we must enter the ring as a force to be reckoned with, blogged about and excited by... I believe with this EP, that could happen..The songwriting process is as naturally unselfish as it could be , with myself and speir coming up with the initial goods to be sturdily and colourfully packaged by Hdog (bassist) and Rob Baird (guitarist) .

'The Red Admirls Daughter' is two chords for over 6 minutes, it's going to be a task to nail it but I think we can and I think its the best song I've ever written. LEAD is the only love song I've ever written, drumless and bassless, I'd probably prefer thom yorke to sing it. I'm not sure it will be played at the end of a school disco though. 'Ripple' is so unemperor it could have been performed by the who..perhaps not quite the who, a who imitator then.. Farewells is an obvious single choice, but I am still deciding whether or not to go with a repetitive, lyricial reference to Christmas. I'd hope it wouldn't only get played at Christmas if I did. Finally 'Darkest Cellar' and 'Lows /Confused' may well open and close our live set respectively. There the two that I strum when I'm hungover..

So there you have it enjoy Rob Baird's guitar. Radio 1 here we come or we know what next years resolution will be! We hope to see you at a show..

Nick, Emperor The Stag, singer/guitarist.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The first thing that comes into your head...